As a club, we are always looking for ways to share opportunities for our members’ to be engaged in the coaching community. Below you will find some resources that we have put together for coaching and skill development across different avenues and age groups.
1. Calgary Minor Soccer – http://calgaryminorsoccer.com/page.php?page_id=109775
Fall Coaching Series on TeamSnap (indoor coaching education programs)
Courses, Workshops online learning modules and resources to help coaches, club and volunteers.
Target: first time coach + volunteers looking to expand their education, coaches seeking new tools, and additional resources to support team / players.
Title — Course for — Fee
Get Coaching — First time coaches — FREE
Intro to Physical Literacy — Coaches, Parents, Admins –$24.95
Movement Prep (part 1 of 2) — Coaches, Parents, Admins, Technical Leaders & Directors — $24.95
Coach Initiation in Sport — Coaches, Parents, Technical Leaders — $15.00
Keeping Girls in Sport — Coaches, Leaders, Parents & Mentors — $17.00
Supporting Positive Sport Parenting — Coaches, Clubs, Parents — FREE
2. Alberta Soccer Association – https://albertasoccer.com/coach/course-registration/
These annual training plans are guides meant to assist coaches, clubs, leagues, and districts with player development. Offerings (FREE, you need a gmail account to access material.
Courses + Workshops — Course for
Active Start — Coaching U4-U6
Fundamentals — Coaching U7-U9
Learn to train — Coach U10-U12
Soccer for Life — Coach U13+
Frequently asked coaching questions and resources.
Lots of information on this site for new coaches, how to become a coach developer and for coaches who have coach licenses/status that have expired.
*Alberta soccer is in the process of updating its coaching education platform, more info to come.
2A) Community Coach Workshop – https://albertasoccer.com/coach/community-workshops/
The workshops are designed for grassroots community coaches.
Active Start U4-6 (theory component available online)
Learn to Train (U10-12)
Soccer for Life (U14+)
3. Canada Soccer
Canada Soccer’s Coach Education Community Sport Stream has 4. The first 3 workshops, Active Start, FUNdamentals and Learn to Train, deal with soccer training and the importance of physical literacy for players up to 12 years of age. The 4TH workshop in this Stream is called ‘Soccer for Life’ and focuses attention on players between the ages of 13 through to “master’s soccer.”
Coaches wishing to gain training through the Community Sport Stream do so in the following manner:
- Active Start: Workshop 3 hours (Active Start Stage of Development – players U-4/U-6). No pre-requisites required.
FUNdamentals: Workshop 7 hours, plus take NCCP Make Ethical Decisions Module (Fundamentals Stage of Development – Boys U-6/U-9 and Girls U-6/U-8). No pre-requisites required
- Active Start/FUNdamentals: Workshop 10 hours, plus take NCCP Make Ethical Decisions Module (Active Start Stage of Development – players U-4/U-6 and Fundamentals Stage of Development – Boys U-6/U-9 and Girls U-6/U-8). No pre-requisites required.
- Learn to Train Workshop: Workshop totaling 14 hours plus take NCCP Make Ethical Decisions Module (Learning to Train Stage of Development – Boys U-9/U-12 and Girls U-8/U-11). No pre-requisites required.
- Soccer for Life Workshop: Workshop totaling 14 hours, plus take NCCP Make Ethical Decisions Module (Soccer for Life Stage of Development – Boys U-13 and Girls U-12 and older). No pre-requisites required.
3A) Canada Soccer Pathway
The website has Tool Kits (PDF brochures) including Player Development, Active Start, Fundamentals, LPTD, Learn to Train (see attached), website – https://www.canadasoccer.com/play-landing/canada-soccer-pathway/
3B) Canada Soccer National Podcast
The Canada Soccer Nation Podcast hosted by Jason deVos, features engaging Canadian soccer guests speaking about a range of grassroots, coach education and club development topics. Episodes available at the following: https://soundcloud.com/canadasoccer